Innovation centre university of sussex campus
The university occupies a 6.25-acre (250 ha) rural campus close to the village of Keele and consists of extensive woods, lakes and Keele Hall set in Staffordshire Potteries.The estate was originally given by King Henry II of England to the Knights Templars in 1180.Finally Keele's own medical school opened in 2007 with the first of cohort of students graduating in 2012.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery is based at the nearby Clinical Education Centre.
"Staffordshire University" was also discussed (this is now the name of the former North Staffordshire Polytechnic).
The university is a short distance west of the civil parish of Keele, and it was decided to name it after the village.
In September 1983, the Secretary of State, via the UGC, had encouraged the idea, asserting that the most radical way of increasing the size of departments and diminishing their number is by the merger of institutions.
At the time, Keele had a population of 2,700 students, compared to 6,000 at the less academically exclusive Polytechnic.Students would instead matriculate with and take external degrees from the University of London.